January Homeowner Tips from Roger Perron Design and Construction
Posted on January 15th, 2020
Happy New Year!
Now that the holidays are over, it’s a good time to take a fresh new look at your home and make it even more organized and comfortable. With that in mind, take a look at these helpful homeowner tips:
- Declutter – In order to make room for all those things that seem to accumulate, now’s the time to grab a couple of cardboard boxes and fill them with kitchen items you no longer use, as well as old books, magazines and clothes you no longer wear. Take them to a donation center for a tax write-off.
- Organize – Clean out your pantry and refrigerator. Throw the old stuff away and stock up with healthy foods you’d like to eat more of. Keep your blender and crock pot nearby and use them to make your favorite shakes and easy “set it and forget it” meals.
- Beautify Hardwood Floors – If you have lovely natural wood floors that have become scratched, gouged or stained, try out some of these tips to beautify them: sandpaper and stain can ease the gouges; crayon marks come off with mild dishwashing soap and a cloth; candle wax or gum can be eased off by applying ice to freeze them and scraping it off with a plastic spatula.
- Heat-Efficiency Tip – If you use a central heating system, the hot air will rise and may pool right under the ceilings. To get the heat distributed throughout the house, you can install ceiling fans and reverse their spin during cold weather to force warm air downwards and make full use of your heater.
- Make Good Use of Closet Space – Is your closet busting at the seams? If there’s no room for storing clothes, shoes and other closet items, you might consider installing a closet organizing system to make it more efficient. This includes a combination of rods, shelves, and perhaps drawers, shoe shelves and other accessories that are built into your closet. This organization system will help you find a home for all your things and make them easy to locate without changing the square footage.
- Plan Remodeling Projects for the Year – Thinking of opening up your kitchen to create more space or adding some rooms to your home? Now is a great time to start planning for it. First, take some time to envision your end goal and what the house would ideally look like. Then look for a professional who can do both the architectural design and construction as this will save time and money. Ask for references and reviews. Start the planning up to a year in advance for larger projects, especially if there’s an important event you have scheduled to take place in your newly remodeled home.
Until next time,
Roger Perron Design and Construction
323-664-7001, Ext. 1