November Homeowner Tips – Save on Heating Costs – Roger Perron Design Build
Posted on November 8th, 2019
We’ve arrived at fall with the days growing shorter, weather growing colder, trees changing color, and acorns dropping from trees with the squirrels madly collecting them for their winter stash. Bundle up and get warm and then get ready for this list of homeowner tips and ideas for home maintenance. Here it is:
- You can save up to 15% on your heating costs by turning your thermostat back 10 degrees for 8 hours per day. If you have a ceiling fan, switch the direction so it runs clockwise at a low speed to help distribute the heat in your home.
- Clean gutters and downspouts on your roof: Check these for leaks regularly in order to prevent overflows that could cause water damage to your home.
- Check weather stripping around doors and at the bottom of them as these may become worn out or damaged. Replacing these as needed makes a big difference in your home’s energy efficiency.
- Check and repair any leaks in toilets: This helps to prevent the waste of thousands a gallons of water per year by checking toilets and replacing any parts that aren’t functioning.
- When it’s colder, store your outdoor furniture such as a grill, deck chairs or an outdoor table set in a shed or garage to prevent them from getting worn and faded.
Until next time, Happy Homeowner-ing!
Roger Perron Design and Construction
323-664-7001, Ext. 1